gms | German Medical Science

21. Jahrestagung der Retinologischen Gesellschaft gemeinsam mit dem
8. Symposium der International Society of Ocular Trauma

Deutsche Gesellschaft für Retinologie
International Society of Ocular Trauma

19.06. - 22.06.2008, Würzburg

Infectious endophthalmitis with retained intraocular foreign bodies in Taiwan

Meeting Abstract

  • Kuan-Jen Chen - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • Y.S. Hwang - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • T. Lu Chen - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • C.-C. Lai - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • Y.-H. Kuo - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • A.-N. Chao - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • W.-C. Wu - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • Y.-P. Chen - Taoyuan/Taiwan
  • N.-K. Wang - Taoyuan/Taiwan

Retinologische Gesellschaft. International Society of Ocular Trauma. 21. Jahrestagung der Retinologischen Gesellschaft gemeinsam mit dem 8. Symposium der International Society of Ocular Trauma. Würzburg, 19.-22.06.2008. Düsseldorf: German Medical Science GMS Publishing House; 2008. DocISOTRG2008P06

Die elektronische Version dieses Artikels ist vollständig und ist verfügbar unter:

Veröffentlicht: 18. Juni 2008

© 2008 Chen et al.
Dieser Artikel ist ein Open Access-Artikel und steht unter den Creative Commons Lizenzbedingungen ( Er darf vervielfältigt, verbreitet und öffentlich zugänglich gemacht werden, vorausgesetzt dass Autor und Quelle genannt werden.



Purpose: To determine the risk factors and visual outcomes of infectious endophthalmitis in eyes with retained intraocular foreign body (IOFB).

Methods: A retrospective review was conducted of patients with penetrating eye trauma and retained IOFB with associated endophthalmitis managed at Chang Gung Memorial Hospitall at a period between January 1996 and June 2007.

Results: There were 365 eyes of 365 patients which sustained ocular trauma and had retained IOFB that required management. Forty-six eyes (12.6 %) developed clinical evidence of endophthalmitis at some point after trauma. The majority of eyes with an intraocular foreign body with endophthalmitis were in patients between 20 and 49 years of age. All patients underwent primary pars plana vitrectomy and removal of IOFBs while IOFBs were diagnosis. Definite positive cultures were obtained from 22 eyes (48%). From these 46 eyes, final visual acuity (VA) of 20/200 or better was recorded in 18 eyes (39%) and the remaining 28 eyes (61%) had VA ranging from 20/400 to no light perception. Predictive factors for the good visual outcome included good initial presenting VA, and early surgical intervention to remove IOFB (within 24 hours). Predictors of poor visual outcome included IOFB removal 48 hours or later, retinal detachement, and mixed or virulent organisms.

Conclusions: Delayed removal of IOFB following trauma may result in a significant increase in the development of clinical endophthalmitis. Other risk factors for poor visual outcome may include poor initial presenting VA, retinal detachment, and mixed or virulent organisms.